September 12, 2010
So it's Sunday, the day before I get my port, and two days before I get my first chemo treatment. This was all moving sssoooo slow and now it's here. I'm kinda freaking out. I think I need to be getting my house cleaned up, doing something to my back yard, and I'm just laying here watching football and movies.
When Lisa and I left the surgeons we went and ran errands. I had to get a juicer and a cancer survivor ring.... yes I did....I blinged my cancer. It's like this process wasn't moving but sped by?? I still don't know how to use my juicer, I'm sure all the fruit and vegetables are rotten, and my ring isn't ready yet. The next week I was poked and prodded so many times, by Saturday I felt like a glowing pin cushion!! Although I must say the most relaxing parts of the week was laying perfectly still in those machines...Is something just wrong about that? Tuesday was the MRI, Wednseday...blood work, Thursday... Bone Scan, Friday.....CT Scan, then wait. Finally, the surgeon calls. Looks like a better idea to do chemo first. I made an appointment with the onocologist and had one more appointment with the surgeon. I'm borderline between Stage 1 and 2. The bone scan and ct scan are clear...Yeah!.. The MRI showed that it is larger than we originally thought, and is attaching or getting very close to the chest cavity. The plan is to confine and shrink it before we get it out. Evidently a cancer cell has barely visible kinda tennecle looking things and since we want to get it all and the lymph nodes are involved we're doing the chemo first. The plan is to take less lymph nodes and it not spread it. It is grade 3, which means it is invasive and fast growing. Obviously you would rather be a grade one, but then I always have been an over achiever. The good thing about grade 3 is that it responds well to chemo.
Basically this is the plan.
Friday: Pet Scan
Monday: Install .. wait, is that a construction term or did they say that?.. Anyway, I get the port..I'm dereading that the most. I've been kneading that spot right under my colar bone all week!
Tuesday: Chemo.
The Chemo will be Adriamycin and Cytoxin, every 2 weeks for 4 treatments.
Then another MRI to see if we can do the surgery. I hoping so....I know I'm being active and treating it but I want it OUT!...oh..and the new boobs. :) Would that make me bald and buxom?! The oncologist already burst my bubble, evidently, chemo is not a weight loss plan...Damn.. I've tried everything else!
Then comes Taxotere (chemo) and Herceptin (an antibody against Her2). That combo very 3 weeks for 4 doses. The Herceptin continues for a year.
I'll lose my hair after the 2nd dose...please send hats!! My "mall hair" isn't going to cut it!
I'm super comfortable with my team. My mom still wants a second opinion. I'm not really sure why I just don't want to. I trust and like the people I have. I'm going to a natruopathic oncologist on Friday. I've heard great things about him too. It should make the chemo a lot easier to take. I'm planning on working and living as usual...maybe taking more time for myself and not over thinking everything! Anyone have any suggestions about a second opinion......
Tomorrow I'll let you know how it feels to be supporting a port!
Toni--Of course you are going to win! This is the best place ever to use that competitive spirit. I'm glad you trust your docs, that's the first step. Hats are on the knitting needles and will be on the way as soon as I can make a decent looking one (your hair may be back to shoulder length before that happens), thinking of you, praying for you and cheering you on. Just beat it! Love ya lots, Loretta
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHEY! its Sunday morning and Ben and Sarah are
ReplyDeletedeparting for Palisade. I am being helped so I can get on and comment - let's see if it works.
Audrey arrived in Grand Junction today, It was so
ReplyDeletegood to see her - she looks great..It was a total
surprise - We thought she would be here on Friday, but she drove straight through from Boise. Hope you are doing great, I stillwant to see your new coiffure - Loretta said you look beautiful - just as I expected. Love you, Aunt Becky