My victorious battle with breast cancer. I know I'm going to win...this is to help my friends and family believe! It's a place to check on me whenever and if ever they want. It's my day to day diary, how I'm doing, what I'm feeling and what's next. Feel free to "blog", comment or call when you need to!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Help! I'm Thinking of Shaving My Head...

Another beautiful day in Sedona! I actually bathed and was walking around the grounds for at least 30 minutes....okay, I was looking for an Ice Machine, but I did get some exercise!!  I sat outside and read; I  feel totally human and almost healthy! Since I know I'm going to live again, I've been thinking about my hair.  I asked the Dr. three times during my last 15 minute appointment if she was sure I was going to lose it.  Was I going to lose it all, or will it just be super super thin? What's the deal?  This is a very valid question, even though she has told me I was going to lose it probably three times before.  The thing is... it seems that in this whole realm of cancerdom, nothing is to specific.   Am I going feel the same after the next round of chemo? Is the first chemo treatment the worst because of the unknown? Will we be able to do surgery after the first four treatments? Since my bones didn't hurt after this shot, does that mean they probably won't?  Is my white count always going to be low?....Anyway, you get the idea.... The answer is ALWAYS "everybody reacts differently" Why then are we ssssooooo sure I'm going to lose my hair?  From what I've heard from friends, family, friends of friends, friends of family's friends.....your know, everyone has a couple stories....waking up to find clumps of hair on your pillow, or handfuls of hair come out when your washing it, is traumatic. Given all that, I'm thinking of going ahead and shaving my head.  What do you think?? That makes it my decision...kinda.  I don't know, in some weird way, it makes it seem .....like I have some kind of control? Is that it?  It wouldn't be the first stupid decision I've ever made.  Ask my Mom! I have to make the decision pretty quick, chemo is Tuesday.  All I do know, is that if I do shave it and  it doesn't fall out.....I'm going to be pissed!!!

6 comments:

  1. You will be beautiful with or without hair! Wait and see what happens. If you need them, I am confident you will find the sassiest, cutest wigs and hats. Just think....you can match your hair to your outfit everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do shave your head then we will have to go wig shopping for sure!! I hope you are doing good and we will have to get together soon to watch movies and let us girls take care of you!!

    I love you!!! :)

    Love,
    Athanasia <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni--get a short, sassy hair cut for now. Then if (or when) it starts to fall out, you have less to lose and less to shave. Short and sassy is way easier to wash and style when you are too weak to hold up a blow dryer for any amount of time. It will also give you a preview of what you can have when it starts to grow back in. Love ya, but I'm not in on "let's all shave our heads to support Toni", my ears stick out way too much for that. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Toni,
    I agree with cut it short to start with! If it falls off I know you will look amazing in a pink wig! AND it grows back that´s for sure! Might be thicker and curlier and that´s not a bad thing, gives you more to play with.
    Wish I was with you in Sedona, one of the most beautiful places I ever seen. Lots of love from Sweden!
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say shave it. You are sooooo beautiful it wouldn't matter if you had a turd on your head. Since you are such a trendsetter, you could be starting a new revolution for the rest of us who don't hate the hair hassle...Love you. Great catching up with you last night. Wish I were closer. I'd bring the shears for both of us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so beautiful and vibrant that you will look great with whatever you choose! My great aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer last summer. So I cut my hair off and donated it to help make wigs. I'm growing it out in your honor this time <3

    ReplyDelete