My victorious battle with breast cancer. I know I'm going to win...this is to help my friends and family believe! It's a place to check on me whenever and if ever they want. It's my day to day diary, how I'm doing, what I'm feeling and what's next. Feel free to "blog", comment or call when you need to!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Gloom Excuses...Doesn't Even Sound Right!

It's the twenty fifth and I'm tethered to the chemo drip.  Only two more to go...woo hoo!  Apparently, I've been gloomy!!  I know... that's why I haven't been writing!!  (thanks for the little butt kicking, Bo)  Turns out I had an excellent reason to be sleeping 12 hours a day...I had about 2 white blood cells in my whole body!   My white count had dropped to critical and my good ole bod was just  trying to keep up.  I had to come in for three stingy shots to give it an immediate boost.  I was told my immune system was so compromised that I should not even eat raw fruits and vegetables, let alone go in public.  Unfortunately, hermitty is my new m.o., so I kinda feel better when I have a legitimate excuse to lock myself in my house!!  Once I got a little more energy I started some projects in my "female cave" ..... why does that sound so awkward when " man cave" doesn't...oh,...wait, by the way, I mean art projects in my garage!!  I had awesome inspiration.  My friend, Meg Harper, was in the art show in Carefree last weekend and stayed at my house so she wouldn't have to drive back and forth from Mesa everyday.  It was great to have her there, although, I am sympathetic to anyone who is in earshot because when I am around people I talk incessantly!  In my head I'm going "SHUT UP", but just keep going.  It's a terrible side effect of hermititus!!  Anyway, you should all check out her website, megharper.com.  She is as amazing and uplifting as her art.  This past weekend my Aunt Becky, Uncle Tom, Karen and Arnie visited....again, I had an awesome time.  I think I may have conquered one lesson I think I  was supposed to learn a little to well...They put all my Christmas stuff away, cooked and cleaned, put up my hammock, and Aunt Becky helped me with my volunteer AQRA paperwork. ...the lesson is letting and asking people for help, saying thank you and not feeling guilty. Who knew...they feel great in the giving...or are really good pretenders!   Their visit was short, but very sweet.  I'm really going to miss my Aunt Becky's delicious cookies, but I wouldn't blame them if they didn't want to come back....who knows what kind of huge project I may have going!
I've done a lot of .....what do you call it...soul searching....looking at my life with a magnifying glass....inner reconciling??? What ever you call it..that...that's what I've been doing the last three weeks.  I don't know if it's because every time I walk past a mirror I have a harsh reality check.  I look like Papouli!!! That would be a Greek Grandfather...to my family, I'm sure it brings up a vision of a very, very old Papouli with a blue bathrobe and really nasty toe nails! (the toe nail part was for you, Loretta...visions of pruning shears!)  I guess if I wouldn't run around the house in men's flannel pajama bottoms, a wife beater, and my baldish head...I really do look like my name should be Gus...it wouldn't hit so hard.  Speaking of my baldish head, my hair is growing in....it's about a quarter of an inch long and oh so grey...white..whatever, I feel ancient.  They keep saying it's going to fall out again...I wish it would, I actually like bald better.!  If I knew it was going to stay I would do this speed grow process...kinda like chia pets.... so I could color it!! I think that's what started the whole inner perspective process...I really don't think it's vanity...I think I really didn't know I was this old!  And of course, that makes you think of where your at and how you got there.  I do have an amazing life, but I've kinda got here by the seat of my pants!  I have lived a very unconscious life...since I can have fun in a cardboard box, I just kind of stay where I'm put and make the best of it. ....BUT is it what I want...OR what the world, family, or friends expect.. Do I even care whose "idea" or path I went down..Do I take living in the moment to the extreme?..Who Me? Weird!...anyway, somewhere I lost , or never had, the notion that this is my life.  It seems kind of late to be deciding what I like.  Aren't you supposed to to do that when your 3 ... or at least teens and twenties.  Where was I?  I'm not saying this in a gloomy or sad way, it's just one of those aha! moments, or maybe a wtf momment!  Everyone I meet in my shoes say this whole process is a life changing experience.  I get to choose if it's going to be a positive or negative experience.....oh, wait...I think my whole life has led me up to this point...I can even be happy in my (temporary) little cancer box!  Is my lesson is to maybe be happy, but maybe a little more conscious in my box?..by the way I already know my box is round!!!

6 comments:

  1. Toni,
    I have only met you a few times through my cousin Lisa, but I could tell right away that you are a strong and courageous women!!! I have complete confidence that you are going to KICK CANCERS ASS!!! My mom has been cancer free for two years now so I understand a little of what you are going through. Stay positive and keep the faith sister! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    <3 Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tone...How about calling it a chick cave instead of a female cave? Sounds a bit more hip and fun I think:) No matter what kind of cave I'm sure it's kick ass if you've decorated it. Every life is a journey and I've admired your journey all the way along. You're so talented, creative, fun and successful! What? You did all this by the seat of your pants? Must be because you have such fashionable pants (and tops and skirts and jewelry....) You hang in there girl and give cancer hell. You are going to win this battle and you are going to be happy in your round or square box whichever one you decide. Much Love, T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey--Mom & Dad had a great time with you, couldn't stop saying positive things. Your toenail comments brought back some pretty horrendous memories. I think I could have been jailed for assault on the elderly, but YaYa just keep cheering me on. Can you get that picture in your head? Love ya, stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl,
    you give cancer a better face and take some fear out of it. That is such a great help and please know that you are giving hope to so many people in your situation. That´s giving to me!You are a wonderful person and I truly love you, hope to see you soon and take joy of your pretty smile.
    Take care!
    Puss Puss, Lena

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea you were going through all of these feelings last week. I'm afraid this AQRA stuff might be too much for you...We need to talk serious about it... Me with the flu and not wanting to give it to you is no excuse for you having to do all the work.. I'll bet it was overwhelming the projects you had for you Aunt..cause I know this is not your only project. LOL I have never looked up to anyone more than I do you Toni. You are the total picture and I love you soooo much...as the on poem goes.."let me count the ways" You will come out of this experience a better person...I hope not a changed one cause I love the person that you are and have been ever since I met you. Throw somthing over those mirrors till you get threw this cause you'll want them again soon..there are so many beauty products out there to take care of the outward you. You need to concentrate on the inside you right now...No one who loves you cares about the outward right now...PS you have two Loretta's and they must both have bad toes LOL I Love You....Loretta Brasher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Girlie Girl: I got the big 50 this week. I look in the mirror everyday and go "Who is that person looking back at me." I've been doing that soul searching thing as well and am starting to realize that I've been a very selfish person and perhaps now is the time really start giving and take a good look at the journey. You've got more grit than anyone I know and like everyone has said, Kick that cancer right in the Ass. Love you. Nina..

    ReplyDelete